There is a different type of HP action that specifically addresses harassment. The HP action for harassment can also address repair issues. HP actions for harassment only cover certain types of harassment. Typically, a landlord engages in tenant harassment to urge the tenant to move out of the apartment. To start a harassment case, you will need to go to the housing court.
Types of harassment
The most common types of harassment may include:
- Using force or threats of force
- Interrupting essential services: heat, hot water, electricity, gas, etc.
- Bringing repeated baseless court cases
- Removing a tenant’s belongings from their apartment or room
- Refusing to make repairs and a violation of record has been issued by HPD
- Removing the front door from the apartment or room
- Breaking or changing the locks on doors without supplying new keys