Suggested Topics
Suggested Terms
For Tenants
For Landlords

My landlord brought me to Housing Court.

There are two types of cases that a landlord can start in Housing Court. A nonpayment case to collect rent or a holdover case to get the apartment back.

What will happen on my first court date?

I need help paying my rent.

A lot of people cannot pay rent right now. Housing Courts are open and cases are moving forward. Emergency assistance is available for tenants behind on the rent. Call us to find out more! You may also be eligible for a free attorney if you have a court case.


Private nonprofit organizations that help tenants with emergency back rent payments.


A rent program for families on public assistance with children under 18.

One Shot Deals

One time assistance for rent arrears from public assistance to avoid eviction.

Holdovers in Unregulated Apartments

If you live in a private house, a rented room, or another type of unregulated housing, and you don’t have a lease or the lease is expired, the landlord does not need to have a good reason to have you evicted. At the hearing, you and the landlord will try to come to an agreement about how much time you will get to move out and whether or not you will have to pay any money for rent, use and occupancy or arrears.

Do I need an order to show cause?

File an order to show cause (OSC) to ask the judge for a new court date.

What is a stipulation?

A written agreement about how the court case is settled. It is written up after a negotiation.

What will happen during an eviction?

A marshal or sheriff can only evict you with permission of the court. A marshal will make all the tenants leave the apartment and change the locks.